07 Jun Not even on my list!
Oh my goodness have things been crazy around here! With my daughter and my niece graduating, my Mother’s birthday and the usual end of the school year activities, it has been nuts! Lots of fun and wonderful people, but frenzied. My sewing “To Do” list is growing longer by the day and has been largely ignored for the past two weeks.
So what do I do in the middle of all this craziness? I end up making a new ironing board cover 🙂 Not even on the list! The small hole in the middle of my old one had become a large hole and it was time to replace it. So I threw it out and bought a new one at JoAnn (50% off!). It doesn’t fit. Those of you who have purchased new ironing boards in the past few years may have noticed that the standard ones have gotten thinner – now 13″ instead of 15″. So I bought a “deluxe” model that is 15″ wide. It has the iron stand on the end. The problem – it is only 51″ long, not the standard 54″. The bigger problem – JoAnn and Bed, Bath and Beyond (where I bought the ironing board) don’t carry a replacement cover in this size. The standard ones are too long and the iron stand on the end of the board prevents tightening them enough to fit smoothly.
So, inspired by Yahaira, I decided I’d just have to make my own. I made mine very simple. I flipped the ironing board upside down and traced the outline on a piece of batting. Then I cut out along the traced edge and placed the batting on top of the orange fabric (how I wished I could have ironed it first :)). I marked a line about 2 1/4″ outside the batting edge. Then I made a 1/2″ wide casing, put some cording through it and put it all on the board. It seems to be working fine so far. It only took me about an hour – probably less time than it took to buy two covers at two different stores and return them :).
(The fabric squares on my design wall behind the ironing board are for the Ann Arbor Modern Quilt Guild Robert Kaufman No Prints Allowed challenge – my highest priority sewing as it is due June 29.)