Little Projects

I’ve been working on a few small projects lately. 

At our last Brighton Modern Quilters meeting we all agreed to make nametags for ourselves for future meetings.  I decided to make my nametag about 4″ wide and 2 1/2″ high and that I wanted to use satin stitch to write my name.  I thought about doing fusible applique, but the size made it impractical.  Since I was using satin stitch, I thought a script font would look nice.  So I used MS Word, found a font I liked (Lucida Handwriting) and printed out my name.  Holding the paper up to a window, I traced it onto the light green fabric, leaving out a few of the flourishes.

Using Stitch N’ Tear stabilizer, I satin stitched over the traced script.  It has a few wobbles, but it is still readable and I decided not to aim for perfect.  Next, I added the darker bottom border and a small fold at the top of the back that I can put a pin in to attach the nametag.  I had some really heavy duty fusible I had purchased with the idea of making a sewing machine cover (still on the long list), so I cut this to size and inserted it, pressed and topstitched around the edges.

Next I addressed the machine method of Cathedral Windows that Leanne of the Ann Arbor MQG had shown us at our sew-in last Sunday.  I haven’t decided whether I want to add more to this or not, so the edges are unfinished so far.  Ginia showed us a hand sewing method that I am still working on.

I also finished a mug rug for our mug rug swap at our AAMQG meeting on Wednesday.  I can’t show you yet since we will be wrapping them up for the swap, but I’ll let you see after the meeting and also see which mug rug I end up with.

Oh yeah AND FedEx delivered this luscious set of fat quarters on Friday morning!!

1 Comment
  • monet
    Posted at 01:01h, 01 April Reply

    Your cathedral windows look fantastic…I love the single color exploration!!

Leave a Reply